AAPI Coverage from Across Southeast Michigan
As the United States continues its battle against COVID-19 pandemic, it is also battling other social pandemics including a rise in hate crimes against Asian Americans. The nonprofit organization Stop AAPI Hate has reported over 10,000 hate incidents over the past year. One Detroit has been covering the responses and stories of the Asian American and Pacific Islander community in Southeast Michigan. You can find more of our local coverage below as well as links to our joint storytelling project, AAPI Story Series, with WDET.
AAPI STORY SERIES:
News From Around Detroit
- Detroit has plenty of land. Do residents have equal access?by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Discussions are ramping up over strategies to best serve Detroit and ensure long-time residents have a stake in ownership, vision for vacant land.
- Detroit leaders urge action on gun violence to ‘bring relief to our babies’by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit has seen nine mass shootings this year alone and heightened frustrations among residents fearful of public spaces or leaving their homes.
- Nonprofit develops award for Black leaders advancing racial justiceby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Three “trailblazers” in Michigan will be honored, with the top prize being $10,000 in grant money. Two other awardees will get $2,500.
- Detroit embarks on new planning study for Joe Louis Greenwayby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Two-year study to evaluate economic impact, land use and policies to beautify future and existing developments along the greenway route.
- Inspector general drops interim suspension for Detroit demo contractorby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Investigation reveals Inner City Contracting did not falsify documentation to get Detroit-based company preference in demolition work.
- Coolio, rapper who won Grammy for 'Gangsta's Paradise, dies at age 59
Coolio, the rapper who was among hip-hop's biggest names of the 1990s with hits including "Gangsta's Paradise" and "Fantastic Voyage," has died.
- WATCH LIVE: House committee holds hearing on harm done to patients from abortion restrictions
The House Oversight Committee will hold a hearing on Thursday on the harm caused to patients due to restrictions on abortion.
- Russia to formally annex 4 regions of Ukraine Friday, after votes condemned by West
Russia says it will formally annex occupied parts of Ukraine where it held Kremlin-orchestrated "referendums" in which it claimed that residents had voted overwhelmingly to live under Moscow's rule.