News From Around Detroit
- New Bargain Block season, same appraisal problemsby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Season three of HGTV’s Bargain Block will be out this summer. But even national airtime can’t bypass Detroit’s homebuying stressors.
- Detroit’s public safety plan for downtown this summerby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Visitors can expect more officers on the streets, rooftops and in police towers, wayfinding signage and additional security screenings at some event spaces.
- Mumford grad prioritizes health in Detroit’s Fitzgerald neighborhoodby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis, Author at BridgeDetroit)
May is Mental Health Awareness month. Siblings Corina Malone and Corey Williams are inviting Detroiters to free yoga classes on Friday evenings to support healthy habits.
- Detroit police board chair assures ‘transparency’ amid investigations by Christine Ferretti and Orlando Bailey (Orlando Bailey, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Citizen complaint records seized, two staffers on administrative leave amid multiple investigations into Detroit’s Board of Police Commissioners and the Office of the Chief Investigator.
- Meet Detroit’s other ‘people mover,’ Michael Cunningham IIby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Cunningham has spent a decade advocating for transit justice in Detroit, but that isn’t his biggest fight. He’s also encountered homelessness, incarceration and mental health challenges.
- Rishi Sunak arrives in Washington with Ukraine, economy and AI on the agenda
The U.S. and the U.K. are the two biggest military donors to Ukraine, and the war will be the focus of Sunak's White House meeting with President Joe Biden on Thursday.
- Biden vetoes bill to cancel student loan debt relief
"It is a shame for working families across the country that lawmakers continue to pursue this unprecedented attempt to deny critical relief to millions of their own constituents," Biden said in a statement when announcing his veto.
- With LIV-PGA deal, Saudi Arabia's crown prince makes dramatic move to extend kingdom's influence
Tuesday's surprise announcement of a commercial merger between Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund and the PGA Tour looks to end a messy legal battle between the two rivals.