As more and more Americans take on the responsibility of caring for an aging family member, not...Read More
Caregivers on the Front Lines
These stories are produced through the New York & Michigan Solutions Journalism Collaborative, a partnership of news organizations and universities, including Detroit Public TV’s One Detroit, dedicated to reporting about successful responses to social problems. The collaborative’s first series, Invisible Army: Caregivers on the Front Lines, focuses on potential solutions to challenges facing individuals who take care of adults.
News From Around Detroit
- Detroiters urged to weigh in on helping end gerrymanderingby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis | Bridge Detroit)
Michigan is expected to lose one congressional seat, so participation in redistricting meetings is “critical” for Detroiters to ensure they get adequate funding and representation.
- Why is Detroit Police Department’s vaccination rate only 39%?by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman | Bridge Detroit)
Less than half of Detroit police, and city residents, are vaccinated for COVID-19. Here’s what this means for public health and safety in the city.
- Detroit may step up its voice in national reparations movementby Louis Aguilar (Louis Aguilar | Bridge Detroit)
In honor of Juneteenth, City Council Pro Tem Mary Sheffield will introduce a resolution recognizing the City’s unjust treatment of Black people and, if approved, Detroit would join a growing national reparations movement.
- Joel “Fluent” Greene shares Detroit truth without ‘the white gaze’by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman | Bridge Detroit)
Poet Joel “Fluent” Greene discusses his new book, “The Detroit Poems,” and what it's like to be from a gentrifying city.
- Why the revision of Detroit’s city charter is so contentiousby Louis Aguilar (Louis Aguilar | Bridge Detroit)
The revised city charter that Detroiters may vote on would make unprecedented changes to government, an analysis finds.
- Senate approves bill to make Juneteenth a federal holiday
The bill would lead to Juneteenth becoming the 12th federal holiday and is expected to easily pass the House. Juneteenth commemorates when the last enslaved African Americans learned they were free.
- WATCH LIVE: Biden holds press conference after meeting with Putin
Biden arrived in Geneva Tuesday for a high-pressure meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin. That's after a week-long series of confidence-building meetings between the U.S. leader and his European allies.
- Israeli ultranationalists march in show of force in east Jerusalem
Hundreds of Israeli ultranationalists, some chanting "Death to Arabs," paraded in east Jerusalem in a show of force that threatened to spark renewed violence just weeks after a war with Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip.