Are you looking for some arts, culture, music and family-friendly fun to experience in Southeast Michigan this weekend? From some Motor City history to a showcase of young musicians and a production of Disney’s “Aladdin,” Detroit has so much to offer this weekend.
One Detroit contributor Dave Wagner of 90.9 WRCJ shares what’s happening around metro Detroit during the May 5 weekend and into next week on “One Detroit Weekend.”
List of Upcoming Events:
- Learn some Motor City history about Detroit’s auto industry with the Motor City Origins Tour Saturday, May 6 at 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. at the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant. You can also visit the plant 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. every weekend.
- Enjoy an evening of music performed by top student musicians with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra’s premier youth ensemble, the Civic Youth Ensemble, playing Friday, May 5 at 7 p.m. for the Wu Family Academy Showcase at Orchestra Hall.
- Hear a range of works from Latin American composers, including Lalo Schifrin’s jazz-infused tribute to New Orleans, during the Detroit Symphony Orchestra’s wind ensemble’s performance at 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 9 at the Cass Community United Methodist Church.
- Celebrate the diverse range of animations from local and global animators at the 8th annual Detroit International Festival of Animation at 7 p.m. Saturday, May 6 at the Senate Theater.
- Have a laugh at the Mark Ridley’s Comedy Castle with comedian Christian Johnson, a clean standup comedian from Charlotte, NC. Johnson performs at 7 p.m. Sunday, May 7.
- Discover a whole new world with the hit Broadway musical, Disney’s “Aladdin,” now showing at the Fisher Theater through May 14. Matinee and evening performances are both available.
Subscribe to One Detroit’s YouTube Channel & Don’t miss One Detroit Mondays and Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.
Catch the daily conversations on our website, Facebook, Twitter @DPTVOneDetroit, and Instagram @One.Detroit
View Past Episodes >
Watch One Detroit every Monday and Thursday at 7:30 p.m. ET on Detroit Public TV on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.