Are you looking for some arts, culture, music and family-friendly fun to experience in Southeast Michigan this weekend? From Arab American Heritage Month to Osvaldo Golijov’s “Fountain of Tears” and the Wayne State University Jazz Big Band, metro Detroit has so much to offer this weekend.
One Detroit contributor Peter Whorf of 90.9 WRCJ shares what’s happening around metro Detroit during the April 7 weekend and into next week on “One Detroit Weekend.”
List of Upcoming Events:
- Lovers of sacred music can catch the St. Mary’s Choir and Orchestra singing Rheinberger’s Stabat Mater and the music of Mendelssohn at 8 p.m. at the Old St. Mary’s Church.
- Lashaun Phoenix Moore hosts “Poetry & Music: Worlds Collide,” an evening of R&B, rap and poetry featuring artists Johdi and Miz Korona, Peace Bell and more, at 8 p.m. at The Cube at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.
- For Arab American Heritage Month, the Arab American National Museum hosts “Telling Your Story: Family History Preservation Workshop,” a family tree history workshop, at 12 p.m. April 8.
- Percussionist and rhythmic instrumentalist Chembo Corniel performs with his quintet, the Chembo Corniel Quintent, at 8 p.m. April 8 at Aretha’s Jazz Café.
- Don’t miss the opening night of Osvaldo Golijov’s “Fountain of Tears,” which re-imagines the life of revolutionary poet Federico Garcia Lorca, at 7:30 p.m. April 8 at the Detroit Opera. WRCJ will live broadcast the performance, which runs through April 16.
- Inspired by the classic Roald Dahl story, “Matilda the Musical” is playing at the Baldwin Theater through April 23. Filled with high energy scenes and catchy songs, this performance is fun for the whole family.
- If you like graphic art and design, check out the Detroit Institute of Arts “Printmaking in the 21st Century,” an exhibit that celebrates the range and ingenuity of artwork by contemporary printmakers. The exhibit is free with general admission and open through April 9.
- The Wayne State University Jazz Big Band and Orchestra takes its talent to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra stage at 7:30 p.m. April 10 at The Cube.
- The innovative work from the next generation of architects, artists, and designers will be on display at the 2023 Graduate Degree Exhibition at the Cranbrook Academy of Art through May 14.
Subscribe to One Detroit’s YouTube Channel & Don’t miss One Detroit Mondays and Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.
Catch the daily conversations on our website, Facebook, Twitter @DPTVOneDetroit, and Instagram @One.Detroit
View Past Episodes >
Watch One Detroit every Monday and Thursday at 7:30 p.m. ET on Detroit Public TV on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.