The holidays are a time of celebration, but they are also a time of service for those in need. Will Glover talked with Forgotten Harvest CEO, Kirk Mayes, about how the organization has been fighting food insecurity for nearly 30 years, how his mission has grown, and what food insecurity really looks like.
November 27, 2019
October 10, 2018
December 23, 2019
September 6, 2018
News From Around Detroit
- Electric buses start rolling in Detroitby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
The four buses are expected to be used on DDOT routes throughout the city and won’t result in higher fares for riders.
- Lawsuit could revoke measures to create equity in recreational pot marketby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit’s recreational marijuana ordinance was shaped to carve out ownership in the pot market for Black and Brown residents but a new lawsuit could unravel that effort.
- Detroiters say housing, public transit options in short supply at first BridgeDetroit town hallby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
BridgeDetroit and Detroit is Different held the first of eight community town halls to gather input from residents about the issues they face in northwest Detroit. The information will be used to shape reporting.
- Asphalt plant still can’t be built in Detroit because of pollution worriesby Jena Brooker and Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Grandmont-Rosedale residents came together to oppose an asphalt plant in their residential community – again.
- Detroit cops to deploy more cameras to ID vehiclesby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
The technology will enable crime center analysts to search by geographic area and by the make, model and body style of vehicles as well as the presence of racks or bumper stickers and vehicle history.
- Trump pick Herschel Walker wins Georgia's Republican Senate primary
Walker defeated five fellow Republicans, including Georgia Agriculture Commissioner Gary Black and former Trump administration official and Navy veteran Latham Saddler.
- U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock wins Georgia Democratic primary
U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock has won Georgia's Democratic primary as he seeks to hold on to his seat in the upcoming midterm elections. Warnock defeated beauty industry professional Tamara Johnson-Shealey.
- Stacey Abrams wins Democratic nod for Georgia governor
Abrams is likely to face either Kemp or former U.S. Sen. David Perdue in a November contest that is gearing up to be one of the nation's most expensive and closely watched.