Detroit Branch NAACP President Rev. Wendell Anthony talks with Stephen about the controversial new Georgia law that makes sweeping changes to the voting process.
Category: Community Posts
This section represents the voice of the neighborhood. Keeping us up to date on what's happening in the neighborhoods where One Detroit has worked. We can offer a platform for their stories to continue to be told authentically.
Robert D. Tompkins, Islandview Community Liaison/Content Producer
Robert D. Tompkins is a freelance digital strategist and technical trainer, who was born and raised in Detroit. Robert graduated from Marygrove College with a degree in business and also from Specs Howard School of Media Arts with a certificate in graphic design.
He has done work for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Northeast Mississippi-Booneville Unit, Metro Youth YMCA, Central Michigan University Upward Bound, Marygrove College, Wayne State University, Detroit Branch NAACP, AFSCME Local 1659 and the Wayne County Clerk’s Office. His articles have appeared in BLAC Detroit, Tower Times and other publications.
He has been involved in many community groups, including the Coalition to End Unconstitutional Tax Foreclosures, the Political Education Committee (Detroit Branch NAACP) and 5 Alive, as well as serving in leadership positions in professional organizations.
His love of the city prompted his interest in how the neighborhood of Islandview wasn’t waiting to be saved but rather went about saving itself. This true Spirit of Detroit attitude paved the way for Robert to be in a position to not only highlight what’s happening in and around Islandview but how its approach can be copied elsewhere.
Islandview is ripe with potential not just in its land but also in the talent and character of its residents. Robert aims to magnify the light beaming from Islandview so the rest of Detroit can see the power that lies within.
News From Around Detroit
- Ann Arbor's FoolMoon festival brings out art installations, luminaries, light up costumesby Detroit Free Press (GANNETT Syndication Service)
Ann Arbor lights up during the annual FoolMoon festival as locals get creative with luminaries and light up costumes.
- Meijer's new Detroit store includes Mudgie's Deli, Great Lakes Coffee shopby Detroit Free Press (GANNETT Syndication Service)
Meijer is giving a peek at what awaits customers at its new Rivertown Market in Detroit, while also announcing who will lead and oversee the store.
- First Communion is much different this year for metro Detroit Catholic families, churchesby Detroit Free Press (GANNETT Syndication Service)
From virtual retreats to catechism classes on Zoom, this First Communion season is marked by big changes because of the pandemic.
- Top 10 Cares kicks off food distribution to people in need, plans to help more Thursdayby Detroit Free Press (GANNETT Syndication Service)
On Thursday, the Detroit Free Press/Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers Top 10 Cares initiative will hand out free meals at Inkster's Womack Temple.
- Whitmer pledges to ramp up COVID-19 treatment, but no word on new Michigan restrictionsby Detroit Free Press (GANNETT Syndication Service)
While the treatment can prevent severe symptoms in those with COVID-19, Whitmer made no mention of increasing restrictions ahead of a news conference.
- WATCH LIVE: Fauci, Kessler, Walensky testify before House on safely ending COVID pandemic
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, will testify about safely ending the COVID-19 pandemic Thursday alongside CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky and Dr. David Kessler, chief science officer for COVID response.
- WATCH LIVE: Trial of Derek Chauvin, charged with killing George Floyd - Day 14
The fourteenth day of the trial of Derek Chauvin, who is charged with killing George Floyd, is set to resume in Minneapolis on Thursday, April 15.
- U.S. jobless claims plunge to 576,000, lowest since pandemic
The number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits tumbled last week to 576,000, a post-COVID low and a hopeful sign that layoffs are easing as the economy recovers from the pandemic recession.