“American Black Journal” host Stephen Henderson moderates conversation at the 2022 Mackinac Policy Conference with Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan and Detroit Police Chief James White about violence, crime and policing in Detroit.
Category: Community Posts
This section represents the voice of the neighborhood. Keeping us up to date on what's happening in the neighborhoods where One Detroit has worked. We can offer a platform for their stories to continue to be told authentically.
Robert D. Tompkins, Islandview Community Liaison/Content Producer
Robert D. Tompkins is a freelance digital strategist and technical trainer, who was born and raised in Detroit. Robert graduated from Marygrove College with a degree in business and also from Specs Howard School of Media Arts with a certificate in graphic design.
He has done work for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Northeast Mississippi-Booneville Unit, Metro Youth YMCA, Central Michigan University Upward Bound, Marygrove College, Wayne State University, Detroit Branch NAACP, AFSCME Local 1659 and the Wayne County Clerk’s Office. His articles have appeared in BLAC Detroit, Tower Times and other publications.
He has been involved in many community groups, including the Coalition to End Unconstitutional Tax Foreclosures, the Political Education Committee (Detroit Branch NAACP) and 5 Alive, as well as serving in leadership positions in professional organizations.
His love of the city prompted his interest in how the neighborhood of Islandview wasn’t waiting to be saved but rather went about saving itself. This true Spirit of Detroit attitude paved the way for Robert to be in a position to not only highlight what’s happening in and around Islandview but how its approach can be copied elsewhere.
Islandview is ripe with potential not just in its land but also in the talent and character of its residents. Robert aims to magnify the light beaming from Islandview so the rest of Detroit can see the power that lies within.
News From Around Detroit
- Detroit mother heals through stories of departed sonby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Constance “Connie” Spight’s book, Dear Brandon: Letters to my Departed Son, was published in February through Archway Publishing.
- Transit options, impacts of pollution top focus in southwest Detroitby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
District 6 residents detailed barriers to transportation and other unfavorable conditions that disrupt their lives during a Tuesday night town hall hosted by BridgeDetroit and Detroit is Different.
- Legacy and opportunity are in abundance on Harper business stripby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Business owners in the area say the corridor is on the “up and up,” despite less attention from the city than they would like.
- District 5 residents want schools, object to ‘imposed’ developmentby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Besides a shortage of schools and rec centers, residents in Detroit’s District 5 say they are defensive about new development because they often feel that it’s done without their input.
- Death of young girl prompts weapons crackdown in violent neighborhoodsby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit police are targeting known violent offenders this week in sections of the city’s east and west side.
- Missouri's last abortion clinic finds itself in center of Roe fallout
During a news conference Friday, clinic directors said their focus would now turn to making sure people have the information they need and working with allies to connect people with care in other states.
- After Roe ruling, a Louisiana abortion clinic looks to what's next
When the high court's conservative majority struck down Roe v. Wade on Friday, the Hope Medical Center for Women in Shreveport, Louisiana, was packed with patients seeking care.
- Federal court temporary blocks FDA ban on Juul e-cigarette sales in U.S.
Juul had filed an emergency motion with the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington so it can appeal the sales ban from the Food and Drug Administration.