Tag: ishmael ahmed
Sep 20, 2021
Award-winning actress CCH Pounder is also an avid art collector; the Feeder Loft launches a record label, Don Was and Ishmael Ahmed discuss Detroit’s Concert of Colors and we see a performance from Oakland University’s “Virtual Steel Band”.Read More
Jul 13, 2020
Watch a past segment from the 27th annual Concert of Colors in Detroit, One Detroit catches up with musician Don Was as he rehearses for a special performance saluting 60 years of Motown. Plus, founder Ishmael Ahmed talks about the festival.Read More
News From Around Detroit
- Art behind bars: U-M program is changing lives of Michigan inmatesby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Artwork from current and former inmates is on display through Sunday in the Free Your Mind: Art and Incarceration in Michigan exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit.
- With a new director coming soon, what’s the state of DDOT?by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit Department of Transportation leader Mikel Oglesby is leaving at the close of October, prompting some advocates and union officials to worry about DDOT’s future. Oglesby and city leaders say plans will stay on track.
- Metro Detroit students start new school year with familiar challenges, fresh solutionsby Lily Altavena, Detroit Free Press, Orlando Bailey, Ethan Bakuli, Chalkbeat Detroit, Nour Rahal, Detroit Free Press and Micah Walker (Orlando Bailey, Author at BridgeDetroit)
The 2023-24 year marks the fourth full school year since the pandemic started, and offers the state’s public schools an opportunity to recalibrate academic recovery programs, tackle mental health issues, and address longstanding problems.
- New school year and new challenges on the first day of school in metro Detroitby Lily Altavena, Detroit Free Press, Ethan Bakuli, Chalkbeat Detroit, Orlando Bailey and Nour Rahal, Detroit Free Press (Orlando Bailey, Author at BridgeDetroit)
As the new school year begins in Detroit Public Schools Community District and others across Michigan, students face familiar challenges — with the promise of fresh solutions.
- Eastside Community Network regroups after center rammed by pickup truckby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Benjamin Noah Weinstein, a 42-year-old white Detroiter, is charged with six felonies in connection with the Aug. 19 incident that damaged the longtime community center with a predominately Black membership
- WATCH LIVE: 2023 Nobel Prize in physics winner announced
The winner will be announced Tuesday, Oct. 3. Watch the event live here.
- What to know about a UN vote to send a Kenya-led force curb Haiti gang violence
The U.N. Security Council is preparing to vote on a resolution to authorize a multinational force to Haiti led by Kenya to help combat violent gangs that have grown incredibly powerful and overwhelmed police.
- What to watch in the Supreme Court's next term
The Supreme Court begins a new term Oct. 2 with public support at a low ebb, ethics clouds hovering above two of its members, and a docket driven by challenges to social media platforms, gun laws, voting rights and more.