What’s the difference between the terms white supremacy and racism? Will Glover talks with The Root’s Michael Harriot about racism vs white supremacy and why we should be using one more than the other.
March 18, 2021
News From Around Detroit
- Replacement paratransit vendor unlikely before 2023 service cutsby Bryce Huffman and Malachi Barrett (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Some council members would convene a December session to vote on a new contract, but Mike Duggan’s administration said the bidding process will have to reopen next year.
- Prosecutor won’t charge Detroit officers in Porter Burks’ shooting deathby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy rules Detroit officers acted in self-defense in the 20-year-old Detroit resident’s Oct. 2 shooting death.
- Transit for Detroiters with disabilities at risk after contract rejectedby Bryce Huffman and Malachi Barrett (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit needs to find a new vendor to deliver 70% of its transit services for disabled residents after the City Council votes down a controversial five-year contract.
- Citizen complaint backlog against Detroit police could drag into 2023by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
The Office of the Chief Investigator is adding eight investigators, but can’t project when the case backlog will be cleared since the interim department chief might be out next month.
- Some bus riders left cold and confused by temporary State Fair transit hubby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit’s makeshift hub is getting more shelters and is expected to be in place for about 18 months as the city constructs a new transit center at the former Michigan State Fairgrounds.
- Supreme Court to hear arguments in North Carolina redistricting case
The Supreme Court is about to confront a new elections case, a Republican-led challenge asking the justices for a novel ruling that could significantly increase the power of state lawmakers over elections for Congress and the presidency.
- Argentina reaches World Cup quarterfinals with 2-1 win over Australia
Lionel Messi delivered again for his country, marking the 1,000th game of his era-defining career with his first goal in the knockout stage of a World Cup to lead Argentina to a 2-1 win over Australia on Saturday.
- Defense Secretary Austin says U.S. faces pivotal years in countering China's rise
The U.S. is at a pivotal point with China and will need military strength to ensure that American values, not Beijing's, set global norms in the 21st century, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said Saturday.