Lisa Waud is a talented botanical artist. Her botanical installations include large-scale, multi-sensory, immersive works utilize living plants and cut flowers. She has done floral arrangements for the set of Jimmy Fallon and music videos. Lisa’s recent project is Big Flower Friend. The goal with Big Flower Friend is to raise money for Michigan flower farmers. The weekly floral installations take place in open-space outdoor in intriguing places in Detroit.
March 11, 2021
June 29, 2023
August 19, 2019
News From Around Detroit
- Art behind bars: U-M program is changing lives of Michigan inmatesby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Artwork from current and former inmates is on display through Sunday in the Free Your Mind: Art and Incarceration in Michigan exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit.
- With a new director coming soon, what’s the state of DDOT?by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit Department of Transportation leader Mikel Oglesby is leaving at the close of October, prompting some advocates and union officials to worry about DDOT’s future. Oglesby and city leaders say plans will stay on track.
- Metro Detroit students start new school year with familiar challenges, fresh solutionsby Lily Altavena, Detroit Free Press, Orlando Bailey, Ethan Bakuli, Chalkbeat Detroit, Nour Rahal, Detroit Free Press and Micah Walker (Orlando Bailey, Author at BridgeDetroit)
The 2023-24 year marks the fourth full school year since the pandemic started, and offers the state’s public schools an opportunity to recalibrate academic recovery programs, tackle mental health issues, and address longstanding problems.
- New school year and new challenges on the first day of school in metro Detroitby Lily Altavena, Detroit Free Press, Ethan Bakuli, Chalkbeat Detroit, Orlando Bailey and Nour Rahal, Detroit Free Press (Orlando Bailey, Author at BridgeDetroit)
As the new school year begins in Detroit Public Schools Community District and others across Michigan, students face familiar challenges — with the promise of fresh solutions.
- Eastside Community Network regroups after center rammed by pickup truckby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Benjamin Noah Weinstein, a 42-year-old white Detroiter, is charged with six felonies in connection with the Aug. 19 incident that damaged the longtime community center with a predominately Black membership
- Kevin McCarthy is out as speaker of the House. What happens next?
The House of Representatives has entered uncharted territory after a last-ditch, right-wing effort to remove fellow Republican Kevin McCarthy from the speakership succeeded.
- What led to the collapse of McCarthy's speakership and what's next for the House
For the first time in this nation's history, the House of Representatives formally ousted its speaker. A handful of hard-right Republicans and every Democrat voted together to remove the gavel from Speaker Kevin McCarthy's hand. The move came nine months to the day since McCarthy lost his first vote to become speaker. Congressional Correspondent Lisa Desjardins reports from Capitol Hill.
- News Wrap: Hunter Biden pleads not guilty to federal gun charges
In our news wrap Tuesday, Hunter Biden pleaded not guilty to federal charges that he lied about drug use when he bought a handgun in 2018, a state judge in New York imposed a limited gag order on former President Trump at his civil trial for alleged business fraud and President Biden sought to reassure allied leaders today about the U.S. commitment to Ukraine.