Are you looking for some arts, culture, music and family-friendly fun to experience in Southeast Michigan this weekend? From celebrations for Jazz Appreciation Month and National Poetry Month to the Detroit Opera’s production of “Fountain of Tears,” Detroit has so much to offer this weekend.
One Detroit contributors Cecelia Sharpe and Dave Wagner of 90.9 WRCJ shares what’s happening around metro Detroit during the April 14 weekend and into next week on “One Detroit Weekend.”
List of Upcoming Events:
- For National Poetry Month, check out a live poetry open mic night Friday, April 14 at 8 p.m. at Navi O’s Hobby Lounge in Livonia. Poets, spoken word performers, and musicians welcome.
- Reimagine the life of revolutionary Spanish poet Federico Garcia Lorca in the Detroit Opera’s production of Osvaldo Golijov’s “Fountain of Tears.” Performances run April 14 and 16.
- How far will a mother go to protect her own kin? Find out in the play “Gotta Make it Last,” showing at the Marygrove Theater at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday, April 15.
- Join The Piano Guys for a performance of their latest project “Limitless” at 6:30 p.m. Friday, April 14 at the Masonic Temple Theatre.
- The Demetrius Nabors Band, led by globally renowned pianist, composer, producer and arranger Demetrius “Krayon” Nabors, performs at the Blue Llama Jazz Club at 6:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. Friday, April 14.
- Learn from some of the best composers in America at the Detroit Chamber Winds & Strings’ Resonate Symposium April 14-15 at The Carr Center. Student admission is free with a student ID.
- Kick-off WRCJ’s pledge drive with hosts Peter Whorf and Dave Wagner at 8 a.m. Saturday, April 15 for a chance to win the recordings of the complete music of Beethoven.
Subscribe to One Detroit’s YouTube Channel & Don’t miss One Detroit Mondays and Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.
Catch the daily conversations on our website, Facebook, Twitter @DPTVOneDetroit, and Instagram @One.Detroit
View Past Episodes >
Watch One Detroit every Monday and Thursday at 7:30 p.m. ET on Detroit Public TV on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.