We’re in the last days of summer, but Detroit still has plenty of fun activities in and around the city. You can see the latest model vehicles at the Detroit Auto Show, celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month at the Detroit Public Library, or hear “Ghostbusters” in concert performed by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. For the late-night adventurers, there is Eastern Market After Dark.
Check out everything you can do around town this weekend and into next week on “One Detroit Weekend” with contributors Cecelia Sharpe and Dave Wagner of 90.9 WRCJ.
List of upcoming events:
- See the latest advancements in automotive technology at the Detroit Auto Show at Huntington Place through Sept. 24. The world-class auto show features more than 20 attractions and events, as well as a new indoor EV experience.
- Experience more than two weeks of art across Grand Rapids during ArtPrize 2023, where art is exhibited in galleries, storefronts, parks, speakeasies and more locations throughout the city for 18 days.
- Kick-off Hispanic Heritage Month on Sept. 15 at the Detroit Public Library with a story hour and Papel Picado craft for children. Families can create beautiful paper banners to hang up in their homes.
- Immerse yourself in the many cultures of the Arab World at the Arab American National Museum’s JAM3A Music & Arts Festival, a free two-day music festival and artisan market taking place at Heinz C. Prechter Educational and Performing Arts Center Sept. 15-16.
- Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters! Hear the “Ghostbusters” soundtrack live in concert performed by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra at Orchestra Hall Sept. 20-21.
- Get your haunt on at FrankenFest from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Sept. 16 at the Historic Fort Wayne. The festival features mad, magical and mystical artwork, and a showcase of literary guests, haunt aficionados and paranormal experts.
- Watch Junebug Production’s regional premiere of “Gomela/To Return: Movement of Our Mother Tongue” at the Detroit School of Arts Sept. 15-16. The performance journeys into the connection of Africa and Haiti to the American Midwest and South.
- Explore Eastern Market under the lights at Eastern Market After Dark, the signature event of Detroit Month of Design. The annual event features a night market, open studio galleries, retailers, brand activations, live music and more.
Subscribe to One Detroit’s YouTube Channel and don’t miss One Detroit on Mondays and Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.
Watch One Detroit Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. ET on Detroit Public TV on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.