Are you looking for some arts, culture, music and family-friendly fun to experience in Southeast Michigan this weekend? You can ring in spring with a Spring Awakening concert. Plus, take in some chamber music at the Scarab Club and “Madagascar: The Musical” lands in Detroit.
List of Upcoming Events:
- Ring in the warm weather with the Livonia Symphony Orchestra’s Spring Awakening concert at 4 p.m. Saturday, May 13 at Clarenceville High School. The performance will feature excerpts from Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite, Rossini’s Cinderella Overture and saxophonist Dr. Riccardo Selva.
- For one night only, see the characters of the hit movie “Madagascar” come to life on the Fox Theater stage with “Madagascar Live!” at 2 p.m. Saturday, May 13. It’s a production the whole family will love.
- Join the Scarab Club for its’ final performance this concert season, “Barber and Bates,” at 7 p.m. Sunday, May 14. Baritone John Daugherty will perform Samuel Barber’s “Dover Beach” and “Il Tramonto.” The performance also includes composer Mason Bates’ “Life of Birds.”
- Grab a seat at the Blue Llama Jazz Café May 13 to hear multi-faceted Detroit native instrumentalist, vocalist and composer King Alexander perform his unique blend of jazz, gospel, hip hop and R&B.
- April showers bring May flower cocktails! Channel your inner mixologist at the Grosse Pointe War Memorial Thursday, May 18 at 7 p.m. for a Floral Flavors Cocktail Class featuring a bit of history, hands-on experience and sampling. Participants must be over 21 years old to attend.
- Listen to the energy and rich tones of one of Detroit’s great ladies of jazz, Kimmie Home. She’s performing at the Dirty Dog Jazz Café May 12-13. Performances begin at 6:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. each night.
- Husband and wife duo Dennis Russell Davies, hailed as one of the most innovative conductors in classical music, and Maki Namekawa, one of the world’s leading solo chamber pianists, join forces for a performance at 2 p.m. Saturday, May 13 at Christ Church Grosse Pointe.
- Modern guitar virtuoso Fareed Haque brings his band Fareed Haque & His Funk Brothers to Cliff Bell’s stage Thursday, May 18. Two showtimes are available at 7:30 p.m. and at 9:30 p.m. for the performance.
Subscribe to One Detroit’s YouTube Channel & Don’t miss One Detroit Mondays and Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.
Watch One Detroit every Monday and Thursday at 7:30 p.m. ET on Detroit Public TV on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.