Looking for some summer fun in Detroit? The Detroit Funk Festival returns for another year of moving and grooving, and Aretha’s Jazz Café has a tribute to the late, great Nina Simone. Yoga enthusiasts can stretch and find their flow state surrounded by art at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit. Plus, it wouldn’t be a Michigan summer without a day at the Michigan State Fair.
List of upcoming events:
- The Detroit Funk Festival, hosted by Bootsy Collins, hits the stage at Music Hall Amphitheatre from noon to 10 p.m. Aug. 26 as part of Detroit Music Weekend.
- Enjoy an all-ages puppet show, “The Adventures of Kitty Montellier,” at the Detroit Institute of Arts at 2 p.m. Aug. 26. The show is about an artist’s adventures through Detroit to find his lost cat, Kitty Montellier.
- Aretha’s Jazz Café hosts a tribute to legendary singer-songwriter and civil rights activist Nina Simone with Detroit native Faye Bradford at the helm. The show starts at 8 p.m. Aug. 28.
- Calling all Yogis — Get your daily dose of yoga with a side of art with Detroit Yoga Lab at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit. Bring your mat to the next session at 6 p.m. Aug. 30.
- Cap off your summer with a visit to the Michigan State Fair, which returns to Suburban Collection Showplace Labor Day weekend. Check out the famous butter cow, a home brewing competition, a 5K race, carnival rides, the Shrine Circus, live music and tons more.
- Visit the Motown Museum’s Rocket Plaza for a fun-filled day of shopping, eating and music during the Marketplace at Motown from 12-4 p.m. Aug. 26. Vendors will offer a variety of high-quality goods, from home decor to specialty snacks, health and beauty products, and more.
- The Idlewild International Film Festival, which highlights the works of women filmmakers internationally and shares the history of Idlewild, Michigan, presents a micro film festival from 4-11 p.m. Aug. 26 at the historic Paradise Valley Antique Store.
- Catch Canadian R&B singer Daniel Caesar on his Superpowers World Tour as he makes a stop at The Fillmore Detroit on Aug. 30.
Subscribe to One Detroit’s YouTube Channel & Don’t miss One Detroit Mondays and Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.
Watch One Detroit every Monday and Thursday at 7:30 p.m. ET on Detroit Public TV on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.