Looking for some summer fun in Detroit? Celebrate the 50th anniversary of hip hop with a presentation by the Detroit Institute of Arts. Explore Blake’s Orchard and Cider Mill’s annual Sunflower Festival. Plus, both Dexter and Milford are putting on the annual summer festivals with music, food, and more. For a more adventurous activity, watch the Thunder Over Michigan air show at Willow Run.
List of upcoming events:
- Celebrate the contributions of women in hip hop for the 50th anniversary of hip hop worldwide at the Detroit Institute of Arts at 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 11. Admission is free to residents of Oakland, Macomb and Wayne counties.
- Stroll through the sunflowers at Blake’s Orchard and Cider Mill’s annual Sunflower Festival Aug. 11-13. The festival features more than 100 artisans; free workshops on natural wellness, aromatherapy, gardening and more; U-pick sunflowers; and more.
- Head over to Dexter’s annual summer festival, the Dexter Daze Festival, for a family-friendly day of listening to live music, eating at local vendors, and watching some fireworks.
- Make some memories at the Milford Memories annual summer festival Aug. 11-13, which will feature a 3v3 basketball and cornhole tournament, a 5K race, blind canoe races, an art show, early morning fitness and a rock climbing tower.
- Look to the sky as the Thunder Over Michigan air show twists, turns and flies overhead at Willow Run Aug. 12-13. The air show has been called one of the best “warbird” shows in America.
- Get your groove on at the Good Moves, Good Grooves three-day festival in Detroit. Dance to live music at the Motown Museum’s Rivertown Revue on Aug. 11. Plus, play in a 3v3 youth basketball tournament on Aug. 12, and try out a sampling of sports on Aug. 13 with Project Play: Southeast Michigan.
- Celebrate the end of summer with the Detroit Artists Market’s second annual Summer Block Party art fair on Aug. 12 featuring paintings, ceramics, photography, and more, all made by Detroit artists. The block party will also have food available from Treat Dreams and Twins Tacos.
- Laugh it up at the Royal Oak Music Theatre at 6 p.m. on Aug. 12 with comedian Tony Hinchcliffe for his Fully Groan Tour. Phones, smart devices and recording devices will not be allowed in the performance space.
Subscribe to One Detroit’s YouTube Channel & Don’t miss One Detroit Mondays and Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.
Watch One Detroit every Monday and Thursday at 7:30 p.m. ET on Detroit Public TV on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.