Are you looking for some arts, culture, music and family-friendly fun to experience in Southeast Michigan this weekend? From celebrations for Cinco de Mayo to an AAPI film series at the 2023 Freep Film Festival and a production of “Annie,” Detroit has so much to offer this weekend.
One Detroit contributors Cecelia Sharpe and Dave Wagner of 90.9 WRCJ share what’s happening around metro Detroit during the April 28 weekend and into next week on “One Detroit Weekend.”
List of Upcoming Events:
- The State Ballet of Georgia takes the Detroit Opera House stage Saturday and Sunday, April 29-30, for a performance featuring music by Bach, Tchaikovsky and Gregorian Folk Melodies.
- Dancers aged 8-21 can audition for The Carr Center Summer Dance Intensive in partnership with The Debbie Allen Dance Academy. Auditions are being held from 12 – 4 p.m. Sunday, April 30 at the Detroit School of Arts.
- It’s a hard-knock life! The classic musical “Annie” is still playing at the Fisher Theatre through Sunday, April 30 at 7:30 p.m. and a matinee performance at 2 p.m.
- Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with the City of Detroit. Saturday, April 29 at 1 p.m., the Detroit Public Library Main Branch will have children’s art and activities to celebrate Mexican culture.
- The Farmington Players’ production of “A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder” opens Friday, April 28 at the Farmington Players Barn. Tickets are currently available; pricing varies.
- The 2023 Freep Film Festival hosts an AAPI Film Series through Sunday, April 30, featuring films “Free Chol Soo Lee,” “Like A Rolling Stone: The Life and Times of Ben Fong Torres,” and more.
- Detroit Public Theatre’s production of “Passing Strange,” a daring, hilarious and moving musical directed by Detroiter John Sloan III, is showing through May 21.
Subscribe to One Detroit’s YouTube Channel & Don’t miss One Detroit Mondays and Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.
Catch the daily conversations on our website, Facebook, Twitter @DPTVOneDetroit, and Instagram @One.Detroit
View Past Episodes >
Watch One Detroit every Monday and Thursday at 7:30 p.m. ET on Detroit Public TV on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.