Christy caught up with Detroit Regional Chamber CEO Sandy Baruah and 2018 Mackinac Policy Conference Chair Ray Telang to find out more about this year’s conference themes. The MiWeek team discuss the policy conference pillars and agenda.
7/26/18: Engler Testifies Before Congress / Lack of Detroit Hotels / Calley & Schuette / Silence the Violence
July 26, 2018
8/24/17: Iraqi Deportations / Detroit Teachers
August 24, 2017
5/24/18: Workforce of the Future | MiWeek Roadshow
May 24, 2018
News From Around Detroit
- New Bargain Block season, same appraisal problemsby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Season three of HGTV’s Bargain Block will be out this summer. But even national airtime can’t bypass Detroit’s homebuying stressors.
- Detroit’s public safety plan for downtown this summerby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Visitors can expect more officers on the streets, rooftops and in police towers, wayfinding signage and additional security screenings at some event spaces.
- Mumford grad prioritizes health in Detroit’s Fitzgerald neighborhoodby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis, Author at BridgeDetroit)
May is Mental Health Awareness month. Siblings Corina Malone and Corey Williams are inviting Detroiters to free yoga classes on Friday evenings to support healthy habits.
- Detroit police board chair assures ‘transparency’ amid investigations by Christine Ferretti and Orlando Bailey (Orlando Bailey, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Citizen complaint records seized, two staffers on administrative leave amid multiple investigations into Detroit’s Board of Police Commissioners and the Office of the Chief Investigator.
- Meet Detroit’s other ‘people mover,’ Michael Cunningham IIby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Cunningham has spent a decade advocating for transit justice in Detroit, but that isn’t his biggest fight. He’s also encountered homelessness, incarceration and mental health challenges.
- What we know about the Trump documents indictment so far, and what's next
The federal charges represent the biggest legal jeopardy so far for former President Donald Trump.
- DeSantis condemns Trump indictment
Other high-ranking Republicans, including House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, have used similar language.
- Democrats and Republicans are skeptical of U.S. espionage, AP-NORC poll says
A big shift is that Republicans have become substantially less likely over the last decade to say it's at least sometimes necessary to sacrifice freedom in response to threats.