Christy caught up with Detroit Regional Chamber CEO Sandy Baruah and 2018 Mackinac Policy Conference Chair Ray Telang to find out more about this year’s conference themes. The MiWeek team discuss the policy conference pillars and agenda.
July 21, 2018
August 24, 2017
July 19, 2017
News From Around Detroit
- Replacement paratransit vendor unlikely before 2023 service cutsby Bryce Huffman and Malachi Barrett (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Some council members would convene a December session to vote on a new contract, but Mike Duggan’s administration said the bidding process will have to reopen next year.
- Prosecutor won’t charge Detroit officers in Porter Burks’ shooting deathby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy rules Detroit officers acted in self-defense in the 20-year-old Detroit resident’s Oct. 2 shooting death.
- Transit for Detroiters with disabilities at risk after contract rejectedby Bryce Huffman and Malachi Barrett (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit needs to find a new vendor to deliver 70% of its transit services for disabled residents after the City Council votes down a controversial five-year contract.
- Citizen complaint backlog against Detroit police could drag into 2023by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
The Office of the Chief Investigator is adding eight investigators, but can’t project when the case backlog will be cleared since the interim department chief might be out next month.
- Some bus riders left cold and confused by temporary State Fair transit hubby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit’s makeshift hub is getting more shelters and is expected to be in place for about 18 months as the city constructs a new transit center at the former Michigan State Fairgrounds.
- Argentina reaches World Cup quarterfinals with 2-1 win over Australia
Lionel Messi delivered again for his country, marking the 1,000th game of his era-defining career with his first goal in the knockout stage of a World Cup to lead Argentina to a 2-1 win over Australia on Saturday.
- Defense Secretary Austin says U.S. faces pivotal years in countering China's rise
The U.S. is at a pivotal point with China and will need military strength to ensure that American values, not Beijing's, set global norms in the 21st century, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said Saturday.
- Nevada toad threatened by geothermal power project gets endangered status
A tiny Nevada toad at the center of a legal battle over a geothermal power project has officially been declared an endangered species, after U.S. wildlife officials temporarily listed it on a rarely used emergency basis last spring.