Christy McDonald catches up with Dr. Erin Hunter, Clinical Psychologist and Interim-Director for the Center for the Child and Family at the University of Michigan, to talk about how families are coping with the pandemic and how you can talk to your children about the sense of grief they may be feeling due to schools closing and the stay at home order.
News From Around Detroit
- Apple Developer Academy opens door to tech industry for Detroitersby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
The Apple Developer Academy in Detroit was the first in the country and runs in partnership with Apple, Michigan State University and the Gilbert Family Foundation.
- Westsiders say block clubs, neighborhood associations shape ‘our’ communityby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
District 7 residents cite strong community ties, concerns over water infrastructure, affordable internet and blight.
- Detroit mother heals through stories of departed sonby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Constance “Connie” Spight’s book, Dear Brandon: Letters to my Departed Son, was published in February through Archway Publishing.
- Transit options, impacts of pollution top focus in southwest Detroitby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
District 6 residents detailed barriers to transportation and other unfavorable conditions that disrupt their lives during a Tuesday night town hall hosted by BridgeDetroit and Detroit is Different.
- Legacy and opportunity are in abundance on Harper business stripby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Business owners in the area say the corridor is on the “up and up,” despite less attention from the city than they would like.
- Palestinians give bullet that killed Al Jazeera journalist to U.S. forensic experts
The Palestinians, along with Abu Akleh's colleagues who were with her at the time, say she was killed by Israeli fire. The Israeli army says that she was caught in the crossfire of a battle with Palestinian gunmen, and that it is impossible to determine which side killed her without analyzing the bullet.
- News Wrap: Embattled Uvalde schools police chief steps down from city council
In our news wrap Saturday, the district police chief for Uvalde schools has resigned from his position on the City Council amid a growing outcry, Texas' top court ruled against a temporary four-day window to abortion access, New York reimposed limits on firearms after a Supreme Court ruling, and California passed tough new restrictions on plastic waste.
- Biden encounters obstacles as he searches for options to protect abortion access
President Biden this week confronted the political and legal realities about abortion in America and protecting access to it, with a lack of votes from Democrats to reform the filibuster and legalize abortion nationally and limitations under the law. Leah Litman, assistant professor of law at the University of Michigan and host of the "Strict Scrutiny" podcast, joins Lisa Desjardins to discuss.