Each Thursday at noon, join the COVID313 Community Coalition for Families and Students for a Virtual Townhall focused on supporting parents, students, and families during the Coronavirus outbreak.Read More
Author: Cheryl Jones
Nov 26, 2020
British artist Marcus Lyon talks with Stephen about his newest Human Atlas interactive project, “i.Detroit: A Human Atlas of an American City.” Plus, Stephen talks with best-selling author Roxane Gay at this year’s Contemporary American Authors Lecture Series presented by the Marygrove Conservancy.Read More
Nov 26, 2020
This episode of One Detroit features a feast of food, fine art and film for this Thanksgiving day. Revisit “Que” Broden, who runs “The Kitchen”, Danny Raskin the 101-year-old JN food columnist, Marie Woo – a Kresge Eminent Artist, and preview the new documentary about Robin Seymour.Read More
News From Around Detroit
- Donald Trump commutes sentence of former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrickby Detroit Free Press (GANNETT Syndication Service)
Kwame Kilpatrick, who served 7 years, will get out of prison 20 years early thanks to Donald Trump, who commuted his sentence.
- Father and daughter dead after fiery crash in Shelby Townshipby Detroit Free Press (GANNETT Syndication Service)
An awful start to the new year for a family in suburban Detroit: Dad and daughter both killed, and his other child badly injured, in a traffic crash.
- Some Michigan counties grapple with vaccine switch, cancel clinicsby Detroit Free Press (GANNETT Syndication Service)
The Washtenaw County Health Department postponed some of the COVID-19 vaccine clinics it scheduled for this week because of a shortage of vaccines.
- Michigan reports 1,738 new COVID-19 cases, 41 deaths Tuesdayby Detroit Free Press (GANNETT Syndication Service)
Michigan now has a total of 540,115 confirmed cases and 13,865 deaths since March.
- Metro Detroit nurse sings 'Amazing Grace' for national audience at COVID-19 memorialby Detroit Free Press (GANNETT Syndication Service)
"I am lost for words right now," Lori Key wrote on Facebook. The Presidential Inaugural Committee hosted the event.
- What's the schedule for inauguration day?
Joe Biden will become the nation's 46th president at noon on Wednesday, when he is sworn in by Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. on the Capitol's West Front. This will take place shortly after Kamala Harris is sworn in as the 49th vice president by Supreme Court Justice Sonya Sotomayor. Biden's inaugural address will follow. Find more information on the day's events and performers here....
- Several longstanding traditions will be missing from inauguration
Traditionally, the outgoing president sits behind the new president, symbolizing a peaceful transfer of power, but Donald Trump will not be at Wednesday's event. Nor will Trump invite the Bidens to the White House, forgoing a longstanding tradition in which the outgoing first family welcomes the new first family to the White House.
- The Constitution mandates when one presidency ends and the next begins
The date and time of today's inauguration are set by 20th amendment to the Constitution, which states that "the terms of the President and the Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January."