Latest News One Detroit
- Soldier Shortage: Youth Obesity, Academic Outcomes, Labor De…Issues of increasing childhood obesity rates, a decline in educational outcomes, and shortages across the national labor market have caused sharp decreases in the number of new soldiers the U.S. Army has recruited and onboarded. U.S. Army Chief of Staff Gen. James McConville talks with senior producer Bill Kubota about the impact of low military recruitment numbers, as well as the military's investments to attract more youth to serve. Plus, Kubota hears what community stakeholders took away from the conversation.[Read Now]
- City of Detroit Seeks Residents’ Input On $200 Million…The City of Detroit has launched a two-year planning study that allows residents to weigh in on the impact of the proposed $200 million Joe Louis Greenway project. Producer Will Glover talks to BridgeDetroit reporter Bryce Huffman to learn more about what feedback city officials might receive on the greenway.[Read Now]
- Making Black Detroit: The Importance of The Divine Nine, Bla…Detroit Public Television and WDET-FM host the “Making Black Detroit” Town Hall. The LEE Group's President & CEO Mark S. Lee moderates a discussion with The Divine Nine fraternities and sororities about the history, contributions and future of the Black Greek Letter Organizations in Detroit. The town hall was hosted in part with PBS’ “Making Black America” documentary.[Read Now]
- Henry Louis Gates, Jr.’s “Making Black America” Documentary …“American Black Journal” previews a new PBS documentary series, “Making Black America: Through the Grapevine” by noted historian and storyteller Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Jr., focused on the vast social networks, associations and organizations created by and for African Americans as a means of empowerment in the face of racism. Host Stephen Henderson talks with producer and director, Stacey Holman.[Read Now]
- ‘Life in Bloom’ Host J Schwanke Teaches the Art …What does it take to create beautiful flower arrangements year-round in Michigan? "Life in Bloom" host J Schwanke invites WRCJ radio host and producer Cecelia Sharpe into his Grand Rapids home for a lesson on flower arranging. Together, they create a two-sided flower arrangement, discuss some common obstacles to flower health, and talk about how viewers can build their own at home.[Read Now]
- Mariners Inn Uses Art Therapies to Help Men Struggling With Homelessness, Substance AbuseAt Mariners Inn, a treatment center and shelter for men dealing with homelessness and substance abuse issues, the organization's clients find more than help. They find therapy and healing. Detroit Performs visits Mariners Inn for a look at the range of art and creative therapies they offer that help their clients work through life's issues and fight for a second chance. […]
- Bridge Michigan | As Pandemic Wanes, Michigan Confronts Toll of Isolation on Homebound SeniorsAs COVID-19 wanes, state agencies are finding creative methods to help Michigan homebound seniors cope with the toll of isolation brought on by the pandemic. […]
- WXXI News | More Youths Are Becoming Home Caregivers. Experts Say They Need More Help and Support
News from Bridge Detroit
- Building a legacy in Detroit for Black-owned spiritsby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Black liquor companies face barriers in access to capital, navigating an industry dominated by white men, and learning the legal aspects of distribution.
- Detroit’s buses are rolling, but are they reliable?by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
BridgeDetroit’s Bryce Huffman took the Mack Avenue bus along with District 4 Councilwoman Latisha Johnson to get rider feedback on DDOT’s biggest challenges.
- Starting pay for Detroit police officers to rise by $10K under tentative dealby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit’s police force set to get significant raises, boost in starting pay under a set of tentative contracts headed to union members.
- Here’s what Detroit’s police chief is doing in the neighborhoodsby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Police Chief James White is walking a mile in city communities each week. Listen to find out where and why.
- Death toll rises to 11 after Russian missiles hit Ukrainian city apartmentson October 7, 2022
The death toll from a Russian missile attack on […]
- South Korea, U.S. warships start new drills after North Korea missile launchon October 7, 2022
The nuclear-powered U.S. aircraft carrier USS […]
- Nebraska senator likely to resign Senate seat to become University of Florida presidenton October 7, 2022
Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse is the sole finalist to […]
- Drug gang kills 20 in town hall massacre in southern Mexicoon October 7, 2022
A drug gang has shot to death 20 people, […]