Latest News One Detroit
- Always Online: Weighing the Effects of Social Media on Teens…From Twitter to Instagram and now TikTok, social media use by teens is widespread. What impact is it having on their mental health? One Detroit summer intern Zion Williams talks with three of her high school friends, as well as mental health experts across Michigan, about how social media can effect teens' developing minds and how parents can monitor their children's wellbeing and online habits. [Read Now]
- Michigan’s Childcare Challenges Have Displaced Women F…All across Michigan, a shortage of childcare availability and rising childcare costs have persisted, and women in the workforce have been disproportionately affected. One Detroit's Future of Work virtual town hall, "Women in the Workforce," explores the decline of women in the workforce, the impact of childcare, and new legislation that may help them return to work. [Read Now]
- Detroit Public Theatre Moves into New Home Near Midtown, Cas…Following a three-year, $5 million capital campaign, the Detroit Public Theatre has moved into a new home in Detroit, which features a 200-seat black box theatre, a welcoming lobby, bar, drama bookshop and library, rehearsal studio, and more. One Detroit Arts & Culture host Satori Shakoor sits down with the theatre's co-founders and co-artistic directors about the move and performances coming up.[Read Now]
- September is Black Reading Month Encourages People to Read B…September is Black Reading Month Co-Founder Malik Yakini joins “American Black Journal” host Stephen Henderson to talk about the 43rd anniversary of the annual observance, why people should read Black writers, improving literacy rates, and how African Americans can understand their history and culture through stories written by Black authors.[Read Now]
- 3rd Annual Detroit Black Film Festival to Feature 86 Films B…The 3rd annual Detroit Black Film Festival returns to the city Sept. 21-25, featuring 86 films by Black independent filmmakers. “American Black Journal” host Stephen Henderson talks with the film festival co-founders about what’s on tap for the five-day event and a special opening night screening of “Lady Sings the Blues.”[Read Now]
- Mariners Inn Uses Art Therapies to Help Men Struggling With Homelessness, Substance AbuseAt Mariners Inn, a treatment center and shelter for men dealing with homelessness and substance abuse issues, the organization's clients find more than help. They find therapy and healing. Detroit Performs visits Mariners Inn for a look at the range of art and creative therapies they offer that help their clients work through life's issues and fight for a second chance. […]
- Bridge Michigan | As Pandemic Wanes, Michigan Confronts Toll of Isolation on Homebound SeniorsAs COVID-19 wanes, state agencies are finding creative methods to help Michigan homebound seniors cope with the toll of isolation brought on by the pandemic. […]
- WXXI News | More Youths Are Becoming Home Caregivers. Experts Say They Need More Help and Support
News from Bridge Detroit
- Detroit leaders urge action on gun violence to ‘bring relief to our babies’by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit has seen nine mass shootings this year alone and heightened frustrations among residents fearful of public spaces or leaving their homes.
- Nonprofit develops award for Black leaders advancing racial justiceby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Three “trailblazers” in Michigan will be honored, with the top prize being $10,000 in grant money. Two other awardees will get $2,500.
- Detroit embarks on new planning study for Joe Louis Greenwayby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Two-year study to evaluate economic impact, land use and policies to beautify future and existing developments along the greenway route.
- Inspector general drops interim suspension for Detroit demo contractorby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Investigation reveals Inner City Contracting did not falsify documentation to get Detroit-based company preference in demolition work.
- Italians vote in election that could put 1st far-right leader in power since WWIIon September 25, 2022
Italians voted Sunday in an election that could […]
- Super typhoon strikes Philippines with ferocious winds, forcing evacuationson September 25, 2022
A powerful typhoon slammed into the northeastern […]
- North Korea test-fired a missile toward the sea, South Korea sayson September 25, 2022
North Korea fired a short-range ballistic missile […]
- In Jackson, the tap water is back, but the crisis remainson September 25, 2022
JACKSON, Miss. -- In mid-September, Howard […]