Latest News One Detroit
- ‘Life in Bloom’ Host J Schwanke Teaches the Art …What does it take to create beautiful flower arrangements year-round in Michigan? "Life in Bloom" host J Schwanke invites WRCJ radio host and producer Cecelia Sharpe into his Grand Rapids home for a lesson on flower arranging. Together, they create a two-sided flower arrangement, discuss some common obstacles to flower health, and talk about how viewers can build their own at home.[Read Now]
- ‘Detroit Remember When’ Documentary Details Radi…Detroit radio fans likely know the name Dick Purtan, the Detroit radio legend and community philanthropist known for his whimsical mix of radio satire, one-liners and deadpan jokes, but do you know how the Detroit radio legend made his way to the Motor City? A new episode of Detroit Public Television's "Detroit Remember When" documentary series looks at Purtan's road to notoriety in Detroit.[Read Now]
- Always Online: Weighing the Effects of Social Media on Teens…From Twitter to Instagram and now TikTok, social media use by teens is widespread. What impact is it having on their mental health? One Detroit summer intern Zion Williams talks with three of her high school friends, as well as mental health experts across Michigan, about how social media can effect teens' developing minds and how parents can monitor their children's wellbeing and online habits. [Read Now]
- Michigan’s Childcare Challenges Have Displaced Women F…All across Michigan, a shortage of childcare availability and rising childcare costs have persisted, and women in the workforce have been disproportionately affected. One Detroit's Future of Work virtual town hall, "Women in the Workforce," explores the decline of women in the workforce, the impact of childcare, and new legislation that may help them return to work. [Read Now]
- Detroit Public Theatre Moves into New Home Near Midtown, Cas…Following a three-year, $5 million capital campaign, the Detroit Public Theatre has moved into a new home in Detroit, which features a 200-seat black box theatre, a welcoming lobby, bar, drama bookshop and library, rehearsal studio, and more. One Detroit Arts & Culture host Satori Shakoor sits down with the theatre's co-founders and co-artistic directors about the move and performances coming up.[Read Now]
- Mariners Inn Uses Art Therapies to Help Men Struggling With Homelessness, Substance AbuseAt Mariners Inn, a treatment center and shelter for men dealing with homelessness and substance abuse issues, the organization's clients find more than help. They find therapy and healing. Detroit Performs visits Mariners Inn for a look at the range of art and creative therapies they offer that help their clients work through life's issues and fight for a second chance. […]
- Bridge Michigan | As Pandemic Wanes, Michigan Confronts Toll of Isolation on Homebound SeniorsAs COVID-19 wanes, state agencies are finding creative methods to help Michigan homebound seniors cope with the toll of isolation brought on by the pandemic. […]
- WXXI News | More Youths Are Becoming Home Caregivers. Experts Say They Need More Help and Support
News from Bridge Detroit
- Detroit has plenty of land. Do residents have equal access?by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Discussions are ramping up over strategies to best serve Detroit and ensure long-time residents have a stake in ownership, vision for vacant land.
- Detroit leaders urge action on gun violence to ‘bring relief to our babies’by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit has seen nine mass shootings this year alone and heightened frustrations among residents fearful of public spaces or leaving their homes.
- Nonprofit develops award for Black leaders advancing racial justiceby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Three “trailblazers” in Michigan will be honored, with the top prize being $10,000 in grant money. Two other awardees will get $2,500.
- Detroit embarks on new planning study for Joe Louis Greenwayby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Two-year study to evaluate economic impact, land use and policies to beautify future and existing developments along the greenway route.
- Jan. 6 panel delays hearing as Hurricane Ian hurtles toward Floridaon September 27, 2022
The House Jan. 6 committee has postponed a […]
- Pro-Moscow officials say 1 occupied area of Ukraine has voted to join Russiaon September 27, 2022
According to Russia-installed election officials […]
- Biden administration lays out strategy to end hunger in the U.S.on September 27, 2022
The Biden administration has an ambitious goal […]
- Colombian pop singer Shakira to face trial over tax fraud in Spainon September 27, 2022
Spanish prosecutors accused the entertainer in […]