Upcoming Community Conversations:
Latest News One Detroit
- ‘Boblo Boats’ documentary tells Detroit ferry tale of Americ…Detroit's iconic Boblo Boats have made their film debut. The two sister steamboats, the Ste. Claire and the SS Columbia, the oldest in America, are center stage for a new Aaron Schillinger directed documentary, “Boblo Boats: A Detroit Ferry Tale.”[Read Now]
- ‘Bad Axe’ film hits the big screen to tell an As…Following the breakout success of “Bad Axe,” a documentary about an Asian-Mexican American family navigating COVID and racial tensions in Bad Axe, Michigan, director David Siev and his family talk about the creation of the film and its premiere in theaters across America.[Read Now]
- Black women entrepreneurs face uphill battle for business gr…Venturing into the world of entrepreneurship comes with challenges, but for Black women entrepreneurs, the hurdles can be much higher and different. A national study shows 42% of U.S. businesses are owned by women, yet those businesses grow at only half the rate as businesses owned by men.[Read Now]
- Detroit Doll Show returns to celebrate Black culture in 2022…The Detroit Doll Show has announced its return in 2022 following a two-year COVID hiatus. Detroit Doll Show founder Sandra Epps shares what families can expect from the doll show and the importance of Black representation in toys.[Read Now]
- Black-owned Detroit law firm Lewis & Munday celebrates …One of the nation's oldest and largest Black-owned law firms is celebrating a major milestone this year. Lewis & Munday, P.C., located in Detroit, marks its 50th anniversary in the Motor City. [Read Now]
- Mariners Inn Uses Art Therapies to Help Men Struggling With Homelessness, Substance AbuseAt Mariners Inn, a treatment center and shelter for men dealing with homelessness and substance abuse issues, the organization's clients find more than help. They find therapy and healing. Detroit Performs visits Mariners Inn for a look at the range of art and creative therapies they offer that help their clients work through life's issues and fight for a second chance. […]
- Bridge Michigan | As Pandemic Wanes, Michigan Confronts Toll of Isolation on Homebound SeniorsAs COVID-19 wanes, state agencies are finding creative methods to help Michigan homebound seniors cope with the toll of isolation brought on by the pandemic. […]
- WXXI News | More Youths Are Becoming Home Caregivers. Experts Say They Need More Help and Support
News from Bridge Detroit
- Replacement paratransit vendor unlikely before 2023 service cutsby Bryce Huffman and Malachi Barrett (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Some council members would convene a December session to vote on a new contract, but Mike Duggan’s administration said the bidding process will have to reopen next year.
- Prosecutor won’t charge Detroit officers in Porter Burks’ shooting deathby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy rules Detroit officers acted in self-defense in the 20-year-old Detroit resident’s Oct. 2 shooting death.
- Transit for Detroiters with disabilities at risk after contract rejectedby Bryce Huffman and Malachi Barrett (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit needs to find a new vendor to deliver 70% of its transit services for disabled residents after the City Council votes down a controversial five-year contract.
- Citizen complaint backlog against Detroit police could drag into 2023by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
The Office of the Chief Investigator is adding eight investigators, but can’t project when the case backlog will be cleared since the interim department chief might be out next month.
- Argentina reaches World Cup quarterfinals with 2-1 win over Australiaon December 3, 2022
Lionel Messi delivered again for his country, […]
- Defense Secretary Austin says U.S. faces pivotal years in countering China's riseon December 3, 2022
The U.S. is at a pivotal point with China and […]
- Nevada toad threatened by geothermal power project gets endangered statuson December 3, 2022
A tiny Nevada toad at the center of a legal […]
- Walker, Warnock make final appeals to voters ahead of Georgia runoffon December 3, 2022
Georgia voters set a new record for single-day […]