Tag: ribs r&b festival
Jul 21, 2018
More than 150,000 people are expected at this year’s Ribs R&B Music Festival at Hart Plaza. Founder of the festival Johnnie Washington talks to Stephen about the event. Plus, we continue with American Black Journal’s 50th anniversary celebration with archive highlights from “CPT”.Read More
News From Around Detroit
- Art behind bars: U-M program is changing lives of Michigan inmatesby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Artwork from current and former inmates is on display through Sunday in the Free Your Mind: Art and Incarceration in Michigan exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit.
- With a new director coming soon, what’s the state of DDOT?by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit Department of Transportation leader Mikel Oglesby is leaving at the close of October, prompting some advocates and union officials to worry about DDOT’s future. Oglesby and city leaders say plans will stay on track.
- Metro Detroit students start new school year with familiar challenges, fresh solutionsby Lily Altavena, Detroit Free Press, Orlando Bailey, Ethan Bakuli, Chalkbeat Detroit, Nour Rahal, Detroit Free Press and Micah Walker (Orlando Bailey, Author at BridgeDetroit)
The 2023-24 year marks the fourth full school year since the pandemic started, and offers the state’s public schools an opportunity to recalibrate academic recovery programs, tackle mental health issues, and address longstanding problems.
- New school year and new challenges on the first day of school in metro Detroitby Lily Altavena, Detroit Free Press, Ethan Bakuli, Chalkbeat Detroit, Orlando Bailey and Nour Rahal, Detroit Free Press (Orlando Bailey, Author at BridgeDetroit)
As the new school year begins in Detroit Public Schools Community District and others across Michigan, students face familiar challenges — with the promise of fresh solutions.
- Eastside Community Network regroups after center rammed by pickup truckby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Benjamin Noah Weinstein, a 42-year-old white Detroiter, is charged with six felonies in connection with the Aug. 19 incident that damaged the longtime community center with a predominately Black membership
- U.S. will establish diplomatic ties with the Cook Islands and Niue as Biden prepares to host Pacific summit
President Joe Biden is set to establish diplomatic relations Monday with two South Pacific nations, the Cook Islands and Niue, as his administration aims to show to Pacific Island leaders that it is committed to increasing American presence in the region.
- Two Palestinians killed during Israeli military raid in West Bank refugee camp
Two Palestinians were killed during an Israeli military raid Sunday in the northern West Bank, Palestinian health officials said, the latest bloodshed in a surge of violence during a sensitive Jewish holiday period.
- How India's rover findings of sulfur in lunar soil could pave the way for future moon bases
India's Chandrayaan-3 rover has found sulfur on the moon's surface at higher concentrations than previously seen. Sulfur in soils near the moon's poles might help astronauts live off the land one day.