Tag: gordie howe bridge
AAPI Coverage from Across Southeast Michigan
As the United States continues its battle against COVID-19 pandemic, it is also battling other social pandemics including a rise in hate crimes against Asian Americans. The nonprofit organization Stop AAPI Hate has reported over 10,000 hate incidents over the past year. One Detroit has been covering the responses and stories of the Asian American and Pacific Islander community in Southeast Michigan. You can find more of our local coverage below as well as links to our joint storytelling project, AAPI Story Series, with WDET.
AAPI STORY SERIES:
News From Around Detroit
- Building a legacy in Detroit for Black-owned spiritsby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Black liquor companies face barriers in access to capital, navigating an industry dominated by white men, and learning the legal aspects of distribution.
- Detroit’s buses are rolling, but are they reliable?by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
BridgeDetroit’s Bryce Huffman took the Mack Avenue bus along with District 4 Councilwoman Latisha Johnson to get rider feedback on DDOT’s biggest challenges.
- Starting pay for Detroit police officers to rise by $10K under tentative dealby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit’s police force set to get significant raises, boost in starting pay under a set of tentative contracts headed to union members.
- Here’s what Detroit’s police chief is doing in the neighborhoodsby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Police Chief James White is walking a mile in city communities each week. Listen to find out where and why.
- Detroit has plenty of land. Do residents have equal access?by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Discussions are ramping up over strategies to best serve Detroit and ensure long-time residents have a stake in ownership, vision for vacant land.
- Asian Development Bank to provide $2.5 billion to flood-ravaged Pakistan
Pakistan's Finance Ministry says the Asian Development Bank will provide $2.5 billion in aid to the impoverished flood-affected country, where climate-induced deluges of rain have killed nearly 1,700 people since-mid- June.
- 3 accused of assisting in Gov. Whitmer kidnapping plot stand trial
Jurors in the trial of three men charged in connection with a 2020 anti-government plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer have been told about the formation and actions of a paramilitary group the government says trained as part of the scheme.
- WATCH LIVE: Arizona's U.S. Senate candidates face off in 2022 debate
Fortunes appear to have flipped for the two Democrats as the midterm campaign enters the home stretch in a fast-growing, diverse state that is increasingly central to how the Democratic Party sees its future.