Each Thursday at noon, join the COVID313 Community Coalition for Families and Students for a Virtual Townhall focused on supporting parents, students, and families during the Coronavirus outbreak.Read More
Author: Zosette Guir
Apr 12, 2021
Join Maria as she learns more about Islam at the Muslim Unity Center in Bloomfield Township.Read More
Mar 25, 2021
Hundreds gathered in Detroit to denounce hate against the AAPI community. The need for caregivers is rapidly growing along with MI’s aging population.Read More
Mar 19, 2021
Stephen talks with the CEO and the Chief Clinical Officer of The Children’s Center about the mental health issues and trauma being experienced by kids.Read More
Mar 18, 2021
Declining enrollment is a sign of a turbulent year for Michigan students. If the trend doesn’t reverse, it could also spell financial problems for districts across the state.Read More
News From Around Detroit
- Detroit rec centers are open again, as residents rejoiceby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman | Bridge Detroit)
The City of Detroit reopened four of its recreation centers this week after closing them down 18 months ago amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Mackinac panelists: Reparations are the path to economic prosperityby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis | Bridge Detroit)
Equity experts joined the Mackinac Policy Conference to discuss how systemic racism has perpetuated the racial wealth gap in Michigan and how reparative policy can reverse those outcomes.
- Poll shows Michigan taxpayers willing to pay for children’s educationby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis | Bridge Detroit)
Support for education was a leading topic on the first day of the 2021 Mackinac Policy Conference. A recent poll supported by the Skillman Foundation shows Michiganders are willing to pay more in taxes for their children’s education.
- Preliminary investigation: GLWA not at fault for metro Detroit floodsby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis | Bridge Detroit)
Great Lakes Water Authority officials say they aren’t at fault for the floods that have plagued Detroit and some suburbs this summer, but they’re updating procedures anyway.
- Bus riders fearful as DDOT looks to cut routesby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman | Bridge Detroit)
Detroit officials say reducing bus service will make transportation more reliable. Residents and transit advocates say they want more service, not less.
- WATCH: Australia prime minister touts global alliances at U.N. General Assembly
A recent announcement was made that the U.S., as part of a new alliance with Britain and Australia, would equip Australia with nuclear-powered submarines -- killing a deal that Australia had with France to buy diesel-powered subs.
- WATCH: Pakistan prime minister says world must strengthen Taliban government instead of isolating it
Imran Khan told the annual United Nations General Assembly that the only way to stabilize Afghanistan is to support the Taliban government and hold it accountable.
- WATCH: New Zealand prime minister calls COVID the 'ultimate disrupter'
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern gave a pre-recorded speech to the United Nations General Assembly on Friday -- opting not to travel to the United States amid the pandemic.