Stephen Henderson talks with Karen Dumas (Communications Strategist) Brandon Brice (“Straight Talk” host, 910 AM Superstation), Kerry Leon Jackson (The Urban Conservative) and Greg Bowens (PR & Political Strategist) for an in-depth discussion of the local, national and global protests against police brutality and systemic racism.Read More
News From Around Detroit
- Art behind bars: U-M program is changing lives of Michigan inmatesby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Artwork from current and former inmates is on display through Sunday in the Free Your Mind: Art and Incarceration in Michigan exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit.
- With a new director coming soon, what’s the state of DDOT?by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit Department of Transportation leader Mikel Oglesby is leaving at the close of October, prompting some advocates and union officials to worry about DDOT’s future. Oglesby and city leaders say plans will stay on track.
- Metro Detroit students start new school year with familiar challenges, fresh solutionsby Lily Altavena, Detroit Free Press, Orlando Bailey, Ethan Bakuli, Chalkbeat Detroit, Nour Rahal, Detroit Free Press and Micah Walker (Orlando Bailey, Author at BridgeDetroit)
The 2023-24 year marks the fourth full school year since the pandemic started, and offers the state’s public schools an opportunity to recalibrate academic recovery programs, tackle mental health issues, and address longstanding problems.
- New school year and new challenges on the first day of school in metro Detroitby Lily Altavena, Detroit Free Press, Ethan Bakuli, Chalkbeat Detroit, Orlando Bailey and Nour Rahal, Detroit Free Press (Orlando Bailey, Author at BridgeDetroit)
As the new school year begins in Detroit Public Schools Community District and others across Michigan, students face familiar challenges — with the promise of fresh solutions.
- Eastside Community Network regroups after center rammed by pickup truckby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Benjamin Noah Weinstein, a 42-year-old white Detroiter, is charged with six felonies in connection with the Aug. 19 incident that damaged the longtime community center with a predominately Black membership
- Israel-Hamas war casts long shadow over COP28 climate talks
As world leaders gathered for the COP28 climate summit in Dubai, the collapse of a cease-fire in the Israel-Hamas war Friday plunged the conflict back into open combat.
- Myanmar's military losing ground against alliance of militias, buoying resistance hopes
A major offensive against Myanmar's military-run government by an alliance of three militias of ethnic minorities has been moving at lightning speed, inspiring resistance forces around the country to attack.
- DeSantis and Newsom lob insults and talk some policy in an unusual debate
In an alternate reality, the prime-time showdown between California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom and Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis on Thursday could have been a preview of a 2024 general election debate.