Tag: bridgett davis
AAPI Coverage from Across Southeast Michigan
As the United States continues its battle against COVID-19 pandemic, it is also battling other social pandemics including a rise in hate crimes against Asian Americans. The nonprofit organization Stop AAPI Hate has reported over 10,000 hate incidents over the past year. One Detroit has been covering the responses and stories of the Asian American and Pacific Islander community in Southeast Michigan. You can find more of our local coverage below as well as links to our joint storytelling project, AAPI Story Series, with WDET.
AAPI STORY SERIES:
News From Around Detroit
- Detroiters say housing, public transit options in short supply at first BridgeDetroit town hallby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
BridgeDetroit and Detroit is Different held the first of eight community town halls to gather input from residents about the issues they face in northwest Detroit. The information will be used to shape reporting.
- Asphalt plant still can’t be built in Detroit because of pollution worriesby Jena Brooker and Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Grandmont-Rosedale residents came together to oppose an asphalt plant in their residential community – again.
- Detroit cops to deploy more cameras to ID vehiclesby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
The technology will enable crime center analysts to search by geographic area and by the make, model and body style of vehicles as well as the presence of racks or bumper stickers and vehicle history.
- Higher definition cameras could curb freeway shootings, Detroit chief saysby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
White said if the department gets access to higher quality freeway cameras, they would only be used to fight part one violent crimes, which includes fatal and non-fatal shootings.
- City Council wants driver bonuses, low-income fare for DDOT ridersby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
DDOT has held public input sessions in recent weeks to discuss how it should spend $51 million in federal rescue dollars.
- Gov. Kay Ivey, challengers race to the right in Alabama GOP primary
Alabama's Republican primary has become a race to the right, with candidates staking out extreme positions on abortion, immigration and LGBTQ issues.
- CDC urges Pfizer COVID booster for children ages 5 to 11
U.S. health advisers are urging a booster dose of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine for kids ages 5 to 11. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention quickly signed off on the advice.
- Senate approves overhaul of baby formula rules in aid program
The Senate has approved a bill aimed at easing the baby formula shortage for families participating in a government assistance program known as WIC.