News From Around Detroit
- DDOT is upgrading its aging bus fleet, recruiting driversby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit’s 28 new coaches come with improved amenities for riders, including better bicycle racks and USB chargers under each seat.
- Detroit teen’s family demands justice one year after he was killed by policeby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Family of teen seeking $20M in wrongful death suit, demand officers involved in shooting death be punished.
- Detroit’s queer advocates worry about monkeypox – and messagingby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Public health officials and LGBTQ advocates in Detroit are monitoring messaging about the monkeypox virus which is mostly infecting gay men but should be a concern for everyone.
- Detroiters don’t have to wait to be heard at BOPC meetingsby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit Board of Police Commissioners change meeting format to address resident concerns over an often long wait to provide public comment
- Detroiters want more sensitivity as MSP reforms policing practicesby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
MSP is holding engagement sessions in Detroit in response to a study that found Black motorists are more likely to be pulled over, searched and arrested.
- Western nations promise more weapons to Ukraine while ban on Russian coal kicks in
Western nations make more pledges to send arms to Ukraine while the European Union's full ban on Russian coal imports kicks in on Thursday amid claims sanctions against Moscow now even affected its defense exports.
- U.S. wholesale inflation fell in July for first time in 2 years
Prices at the wholesale level fell from June to July, the first month-to-month drop in more than two years and a sign that some of the U.S. economy's inflationary pressures cooled last month.
- Amid severe drought in Europe, wildfires spread and fish die off
More than 1,000 firefighters in France are struggling to contain a huge wildfire burning through pine forests.