8/26/21: One Detroit – Detroit Schools Returning In-Person / High Schoolers Help Rebuild Neighborhood / Detroit Police Using Social Media to Monitor Crime
August 26, 2021
December 13, 2018
December 3, 2020
News From Around Detroit
- Detroiters now have access to state-of-the-art early childhood centerby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis | Bridge Detroit)
The new, state-of-the-art Marygrove Early Education Center has opened for local families, but child-care workers and advocates say there is still work to do.
- Deadline to avoid penalty for driving without insurance is Dec. 31by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman | Bridge Detroit)
Mayor Mike Duggan urged Detroit drivers who don’t have auto insurance to get coverage by the end of the year — or risk paying a whole lot more.
- Detroiters insurance costs increase as FEMA ups city’s flood riskby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis | Bridge Detroit)
The Federal Emergency Management Agency has determined parts of the city as “high flood risk,” which will require some residents — who are still paying for damage from previous floods — to purchase insurance.
- Here are 3 Detroit businesses to support this holiday seasonby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman | Bridge Detroit)
Black Friday and Small Business Saturday kick off the beginning of the holiday shopping season. Here are a few Detroit-based businesses to support and other resources to help you shop locally.
- Detroit’s ‘hustling’ spirit is alive and well on 6 Mileby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman | Bridge Detroit)
Operating in a pandemic has been tough for Detroit entrepreneurs who have built a thriving Black business district in the Hubbell-Puritan neighborhood along McNichols.
- Bob Dole, longtime Republican senator and presidential nominee, dies at 98
"At his death, at age 98, he had served the United States of America faithfully for 79 years," the Elizabeth Dole Foundation said in a statement.
- Edward Shames, last 'Band of Brothers' officer, dies at 99
Edward Shames, a World War II veteran who was the last surviving officer of "Easy Company," which inspired the HBO miniseries and book "Band of Brothers," has died. He was 99.
- CNN fires Chris Cuomo for helping brother deal with scandal
CNN fired anchor Chris Cuomo on Saturday after details emerged about how he assisted his brother, former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, as the politician faced sexual harassment allegations earlier this year.