One Detroit takes a look at the creative garden of botanical artist, Lisa Waud, whose installations include large-scale, immersive works utilizing living plants and cut flowers, which have appeared on music videos and even on “Jimmy Fallon.” Her recent project is Big Flower Friend, weekly open-air floral fests set in intriguing locations around Detroit to raise money for Michigan flower farmers.
January 15, 2021
July 17, 2020
November 27, 2020
News From Around Detroit
- Detroiters now have access to state-of-the-art early childhood centerby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis | Bridge Detroit)
The new, state-of-the-art Marygrove Early Education Center has opened for local families, but child-care workers and advocates say there is still work to do.
- Deadline to avoid penalty for driving without insurance is Dec. 31by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman | Bridge Detroit)
Mayor Mike Duggan urged Detroit drivers who don’t have auto insurance to get coverage by the end of the year — or risk paying a whole lot more.
- Detroiters insurance costs increase as FEMA ups city’s flood riskby Olivia Lewis (Olivia Lewis | Bridge Detroit)
The Federal Emergency Management Agency has determined parts of the city as “high flood risk,” which will require some residents — who are still paying for damage from previous floods — to purchase insurance.
- Here are 3 Detroit businesses to support this holiday seasonby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman | Bridge Detroit)
Black Friday and Small Business Saturday kick off the beginning of the holiday shopping season. Here are a few Detroit-based businesses to support and other resources to help you shop locally.
- Detroit’s ‘hustling’ spirit is alive and well on 6 Mileby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman | Bridge Detroit)
Operating in a pandemic has been tough for Detroit entrepreneurs who have built a thriving Black business district in the Hubbell-Puritan neighborhood along McNichols.
- Fauci says early reports encouraging about omicron variant
"Thus far, it does not look like there's a great degree of severity to it," Fauci said. "But we have really got to be careful before we make any determinations that it is less severe or it really doesn't cause any severe illness, comparable to delta."
- Indonesian rescuers dig through volcanic ash after 14 die
Rescuers were sifting through smoldering debris and thick mud in search of survivors a day after the highest volcano on Java island erupted with fury, killing at least 14 people with searing gas and ash.
- Violence as French far-right TV pundit holds campaign rally
As his supporters cheered and waved French flags in a northern suburb of the capital, thousands of others took to the streets of Paris to denounce his xenophobic platform.