On the next American Black Journal, a Detroit Free Press analysis of mortgage data shows a small number of Blacks are getting mortgages in Detroit. We’ll talk about the racial disparities in lending and the state of the mortgage market in the city. Plus, two local African-American chefs join Stephen to talk about the impact of Detroit’s burgeoning restaurant scene on Black-owned restaurants.Read More
Author: Christina Amato
Mar 20, 2019
Following a rather raucous meeting of the Detroit Charter Revision Commission, Bridge Magazine...Read More
Feb 21, 2019
Behind Christy McDonald’s one-on-one with Detroit Chief Information Officer Beth Niblock.Read More
Feb 7, 2019
Detroit Public Television is proud to celebrate Black History this February and all year round! We honor African-Americans in the arts, history, and civil rights through special programming this February on DPTV.Read More
News From Around Detroit
- Building a legacy in Detroit for Black-owned spiritsby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Black liquor companies face barriers in access to capital, navigating an industry dominated by white men, and learning the legal aspects of distribution.
- Detroit’s buses are rolling, but are they reliable?by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
BridgeDetroit’s Bryce Huffman took the Mack Avenue bus along with District 4 Councilwoman Latisha Johnson to get rider feedback on DDOT’s biggest challenges.
- Starting pay for Detroit police officers to rise by $10K under tentative dealby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit’s police force set to get significant raises, boost in starting pay under a set of tentative contracts headed to union members.
- Here’s what Detroit’s police chief is doing in the neighborhoodsby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Police Chief James White is walking a mile in city communities each week. Listen to find out where and why.
- Detroit has plenty of land. Do residents have equal access?by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Discussions are ramping up over strategies to best serve Detroit and ensure long-time residents have a stake in ownership, vision for vacant land.
- WATCH LIVE: The winner of the Nobel Peace Prize is…
The recipient will be announced Friday, Oct. 7. Watch it live here.
- Biden says nuclear 'Armageddon' at highest risk since Cuban Missile Crisis
Speaking at a fundraiser Thursday for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, Biden said Putin was "not joking when he talks about the use of tactical nuclear weapons or biological or chemical weapons."
- Hurricane Ian evacuees return to devastation as death toll hits 101
Hurricane Ian's death toll has climbed into the triple digits. The number of recorded storm-related deaths rose Thursday to at least 101 in the eight days since the storm made landfall in southwest Florida.