Watch American Black Journal for events happening in and around Detroit.
News From Around Detroit
- Prosecutor won’t charge Detroit officers in Porter Burks’ shooting deathby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy rules Detroit officers acted in self-defense in the 20-year-old Detroit resident’s Oct. 2 shooting death.
- Transit for Detroiters with disabilities at risk after contract rejectedby Bryce Huffman and Malachi Barrett (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit needs to find a new vendor to deliver 70% of its transit services for disabled residents after the City Council votes down a controversial five-year contract.
- Citizen complaint backlog against Detroit police could drag into 2023by Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
The Office of the Chief Investigator is adding eight investigators, but can’t project when the case backlog will be cleared since the interim department chief might be out next month.
- Some bus riders left cold and confused by temporary State Fair transit hubby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Detroit’s makeshift hub is getting more shelters and is expected to be in place for about 18 months as the city constructs a new transit center at the former Michigan State Fairgrounds.
- Detroit families wait-listed for ‘maxed out’ after school programby Bryce Huffman (Bryce Huffman, Author at BridgeDetroit)
Get On And Learn, or GOAL, wants to keep Detroit kids in the city for school and alleviate concerns about a lack of after care, transportation and programming.
- Business groups pressure Congress to block potential rail strike
Business groups are increasing the pressure on lawmakers to intervene and block a railroad strike before next month's deadline in the stalled contract talks.
- Republican-controlled Arizona county refuses to certify 2022 election
The decision comes amid pressure from prominent Republicans to reject a vote count that had Democrats winning for U.S. Senate, governor and other statewide races.
- Police take down cocaine 'super cartel' in Europe, arrest 49
Europol says law enforcement authorities in six different countries have joined forces to take down a "super cartel" of drugs traffickers controlling about one third of the cocaine trade in Europe.