On July 10th at the Joseph Walker Williams Center Stephen Henderson hosted a intimate conversation about the 50th Anniversary of the events of 1967.
- Causes and consequences of the 1967 civil disturbance.
- Progress that has or hasn’t been made since.
- Detroit institutions that rose from the civil disturbance.
- Emerging leaders in Detroit’s African-American community.
- Detroit Police Chief James Craig
- JoAnn Watson, Former Detroit Councilwoman
- Jason Lee, CEO at Focus: HOPE
- Roderick Gillum, Trustee Emeritus at New Detroit
- Lauren Hood, Executive Director, Live6 Alliance
- Eric Thomas, Saga Marketing
- Lester Graham, Michigan Radio
- Bill McGraw, Journalist
- Keith Owens, Michigan Chronicle
A video segment will lead us on a historical tour of the neighborhoods surrounding 12th and Clairmount as well as Gordon Park – the former site of the blind pig whose raid by the police precipitated the events of 1967.
Don’t miss American Black Journal on Sunday at 9:30 a.m. and again on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. on Detroit Public TV, WTVS-Channel 56.