Tonight on One Detroit:
- David Turnley: David Turnley is considered by many to be one of the best documentary photographers working today. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize, two World Press Photos of the Year, and the Robert Capa Award for Courage, he has photographed the human condition in some 75 countries around the world. David is the documentarian on a COVID photo project he’s working on at the University of Michigan.
- Shahida Mausi: Shahida Mausi is the operator of The Aretha Franklin Amphitheatre in Detroit and talks about how they are surviving and future plans during this pandemic.
- Joan Belgrave: Joan Belgrave is Detroit’s most noted Jazz Singer and is known for her soothing voice. Joan talks with Christy McDonald about lost gigs and uncertainty during the current pandemic, but it’s her exploration of feeling grief of having lost people to COVID, and her late husband Marcus Belgrave. Music helps Joan cope with the grief.
- Anne Parsons: Peter Whorf from WRCJ 90.9 FM talks with Anne Parsons, President and CEO of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra about how the orchestra has been and is planning to respond to the current situation. The digital space for the orchestra has been a way for them to engage with their community. You will hear about the cello section participated in Play on Your Porch. In addition, the musicians have been engaging with their audience on Facebook Live. Facebook Live has given them the opportunity to introduce concerts, answer questions in the chat spaces and interact with the community. She then talks about the DSO performance plans for the summer/fall.
- Performance: The show ends with the Adonis Rose & Piece of Mind archival performance at the Blue LLama Jazz Club. Adonis Rose has played with esteemed Grammy-winning Jazz artists including trumpet legend Wynton Marsalis, vocalist Dianne Reeves and Jazz/Pop entertainer Harry Connick, Jr. This performance was originally recorded at the Blue LLama Jazz Club. The Blue LLama Jazz Club is described as live jazz and world music paired with inspired cuisine, creating a destination music venue and restaurant on Main Street in downtown Ann Arbor.
Watch One Detroit every Thursday and Monday at 7:30pm ET on Detroit Public TV.