We recently held a virtual town hall on the state of education and talked with local superintendents, teachers, and students about how they’re facing the challenges of education during COVID. In this episode, we share some of the highlights of that conversation. Featured highlights include:
- Local Students Share the Challenges of Online School We hear from local students with the PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs about their adjustment to online learning and, for some, what school looks like after going back to in-person in the new year.
- Teachers Meeting Students Where They Are As students adjust to virtual or in-person learning, it’s the teachers who meet them where they are. Christy talks with Jeanie Wilson (Ann Arbor STEAM at Northside), Dorothea Williams-Arnold (Cass Tech H.S.), and Beth Freedman (Summit Academy North H.S.) about what their day-to-day looks like and the importance of finding a multitude of ways to connect with students.
- Decision Making in School Districts The big overarching decisions that are happening at districts are made by the superintendents and administration. Each district has to cater to what their specific school community needs. Christy checks in with Dr. Rich Machesky, Superintendent of Troy Schools, Mark Greathead, Superintendent at Woodhaven-Brownstown School District, Mike Devault, Superintendent Macomb ISD, and Dr. Alesia Flye, Chief Academic Officer for Macomb ISD.
- Paul Liabenow, Exec. Director of MEMSPA (Michigan Elementary and Middle School Principals)
- Georgeann Herbert, SVP, Strategy for DPTV
- Dr. Rich Machesky, Superintendent, Troy School District
- Mark Greathead, Superintendent, Woodhaven – Brownstown School District
- Michael DeVault, Superintendent, Macomb ISD
- Dr. Alesia Flye, Chief Academic Officer, Macomb ISD
- Beth Freedman, Teacher, Summit Academy North High School in Romulus
- Jeanie Wilson, Teacher, Ann Arbor STEAM at Northside
- Dorothea Williams-Arnold, Teacher, Cass Technical High School
Featuring interviews with:
- Superintendent Nikolai Vitti, Detroit Public Schools Community District
- Michigan students from the PBS Newshour Student Reporting Labs